VIP SURVEY #2
VIP SURVEY #2
Chest Tubes, ET Tubes, PA Catheter
Enclosed is a copy of the AACN VIP Survey results on clinical practice issues. The Volunteers in
Participatory Sampling (VIPs), is a group of AACN members who are demographically representative of
our total membership. The VIPs provide AACN with a mechanism to reach a larger number of our
membership and survey their thoughts and opinions on a variety of topics. AACN utilizes the VIPs to
validate identified issues, trends, and concerns in critical care nursing. VIPs serve on a one year term and
commit to responding to up to six mail or phone surveys.
Survey #2, completed Jan=93, is based on a response rate of 69% (620 members). The percentages for
each question may not always add up to 100%. Participants may not have answered a particular question,
may have been told to check more than one answer if applicable, or they may have mismarked the
question, making it unreadable to the scanner.
In some cases, the number of people responding varied. In order to accurately represent the data, the
number of respondents for each question is in parentheses immediately following the question.
SECTION 1: CHEST TUBES/ET TUBE/PA CATHETER
1. How many critical care units does your hospital have in which there could be patients with
chest tubes? (615)
1 unit 16%
2 units 21%
3 units 21%
4 units 17%
5 units 27%
2. What types of chest tubes do some or all of the critical care nurses in your facility remove?
Mediastinal only 3%
Pleural only 6%
Both mediastinal & pleural tubes 12%
3. What types of patients have their chest tubes removed by some or all of the critical care nurses
in your facility?(check all that apply)
Cardiac surgical patients 12%
Thoracic surgical patients 7%
Thoracic trauma patients 5%
Other patients 5%
4. If nurses remove chest tubes, do you have a written standardized procedure or protocol which
is followed? (154)
Yes; we use a written protocol or procedure 44%
No; we do not have a written protocol or procedure 56%
5. Are the nurses in your critical care unit removing/discontinuing pulmonary artery catheters?
Yes 52% No 48%
6. Are nurses in your unit advancing pulmonary artery catheters? (610)
Yes 21% No 79%
7. Are nurses in your unit pulling back pulmonary artery catheters if the catheter is wedged? (613)
Yes 54% No 46%
8. Are nurses in your unit pulling back pulmonary artery catheters to the right atrium (RA) if the
catheter is in the right ventricle? (604)
Yes 41% No 59%
9. Are nurses in your unit removing/discontinuing endotracheal tubes? (609)
Yes 61% No 39%
10. For those units where nurses are removing ET tubes, are the nurses doing this procedure in
conjunction with other disciplines? (check all that apply)
Respiratory therapist 54%
Unlicenced personnel 0.01%
11. Are nurses in your unit removing temporary transvenous pacemaker wires? (604)
Yes 19% No 81%
- Related pdf books
- GBC-AACN Mission Statement
- Pediatric Obesity in Acute and Critical Care
- Chapter Member Engagement - Critical care nursing
- Program Schedule - SaTurdaY Saturday may 16, 2009 Certified ...
- VENTILATOR ASSOCIATED PNEUMONIA
- EXHIBITOR NEWS NETWORK ORDER FORM - Critical care nursing
- COMMITTEE BUDGET WORKSHEET
- Nursing Considerations for Children Undergoing Delayed Sternal
- NTI 2014 Exhibitor Private Activity Notification Form
- NTRODUCTION 2 YAN AVADA 3 ICTURES 4 RBAN EN L AACN Chapter at ...
- Care of Pediatric Oncology Patients After Continuous ...
- GRAFL 25 Anniversary - American Association of Critical-Care ...
- Title: Older, Wiser, and Worn Out: Keeping Aging Nurses in ...
- 1.0 POLICY Renewals between 3/31/2012 through 12/31/2013
- Save $76– register by April 4, 2013. - Critical care nursing
- ALUMNUS STATUS APPLICATION
- Clinical Nurse Specialist ListServ
- Popular epubs
- IP PoE Surface Mount Analog Clocks VIP-A12, 12" Round VIP ...
- インターナショナルVIPクラブ VIPイルボンサラム ...
- VIP of Rusnet VIP of Rusnet 2005 - Booklet Voorbeeldpresentatie ...
- VIP- arrangement “Ronde van Vlaanderen” (Go4Cycling VIP-minibus)
- World Health Organization's TEACH-VIP
- Art Dubai VIP Programme 2010
- (9/14/2009) James Scarboro - VIP Alert - SCC060018 ...
- VIP Time Drift 01/30/04
- the vip
- Corporate VIP Opportunities
- Critical Care Therapy and Respiratory Care Section
- DIRECTIONS FOR USE